Monday, November 21, 2011

Learning to handle the comments

I've never been good at taking compliments.  Maybe its a fat girl thing, maybe its just a me thing, or some combination thereof.  Either way, compliments put me at the center of attention, and I HATE to be the center of attention.  My family gave me a surprise party for my college graduation, and I hated every minute of it.

Now that you have the background of just how much I hate compliments and being the center of attention, let me tell you about how it has been at my job.  Any time I see someone I haven't seen in a while I get...."You look great."...."Are you losing weight?"....."What are you doing to lose weight?"

Today I was heating up some chicken and vegetables at the bank of microwaves in the cafeteria.  A woman that I know, but never worked with and don't know that well said...."Is that all you are eating?  That isn't enough food".  I just said, oh there is more chicken in there than you think and walked away.

It is starting to get to me, all the comments.  I'm not sure how to handle it really.  I try just saying thank you, and move the conversation along, but that doesn't always work.  I know these people are just being nice, but it makes me just want to go hide in a corner.  I know I can't do that, so I'm hoping everyone will just get used to it soon and stop commenting.  A girl can hope!

3 comments:

  1. It's definitely an adjustment. I've noticed the more weight I lose the easier it becomes and the more confident I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They will keep complimenting... and you will get used to it. I am hoping that you don't start loving being the center of attention, since that's my spot! LOL. I miss you, I am coming home today... Finally! *M*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its hard getting out of the comfort zone of not being noticed. But if their saying it out of the kindness of their hearts, then believe it to be true. You will gain confidence the more you lose. Its a good thing in the end.

    ReplyDelete